- The Pathology Department is situated at Level 4, and is accessible via the main entrance.
- The Pathology Department provides medical laboratory services to screen, diagnose and monitor treatment and disease progress. The services offered support both patient and preventive health care.
- The Pathology Department functions as a secondary care level with extended services for certain sub-specialities
The Pathology Department is to provide a comprehensive and quality diagnostic services which is efficient, cost effective and innovative in an information technology based environment.
We will work as a team to provide an efficient, reliable and quality service towards achieving excellence in patient healthcare that is delivered in a caring and friendly environment
To achieve quality and excellent service to all our customers.
Quality, Professionalism, Teamwork, Caring Service, Process Excellence
|To provide diagnostic and consultative services in Chemical Pathology, Haematology, Transfusion Medicine, Anatomic Pathology and Microbiology.|
|To provide training in clinical, technical and analytical skills for the department personnel, trainees and personnel from other government hospitals, institute of higher learning and other government agencies.|
|To provide consultative services to Ministry of Health concerning matters related to pathology services.|
|To conduct and assist research and development in pathology and other relevant clinical areas of interest.|
- Every customer will be treated with care, consideration and dignity.
- Every customer will be given a clear and comprehensive explanation about the test requested when necessary.
- Every specimen shall be handled in a recommended manner.
- Every test shall be performed timely, carefully and accurately using proven and reliable methodology and utilising where possible the latest technology available.
- Urgent (stat) tests shall be attended to and carried out immediately.
- All examination results shall be handled appropriately and kept confidential.
Laboratory Turn Around Time (LTAT)for urgent (Stat) tests (Refer to Appendix  ) : within one hour
LTAT for routine tests performed daily all in within 4 hours:
- Chemical Pathology
- Blood Bank
LTAT for batch testing in:
- Chemical Pathology
- Refer to the specific test in Appendix  : a-d
LTAT for microbiology tests:
- Cultures : 24 to 72 hours
- Participation in national and external Quality Assurance Program (QAP).
- Received accreditation certification from NATA for compliance in ISO 15189 in 2007.
Integrated Clinical Laboratory Service
The Pathology Department practices integration of Clinical Laboratory services. Integrated areas include the following:
- Central Specimen Reception (CSR)
- Main Laboratory – for routine and urgent Blood Bank, Haematology, Chemical Pathology and Clinical Laboratory analyses. It functions 24 hourly.
- Blood Bank provides compatible and safe blood and blood products to inpatients. The screened blood stock is supplied by the National Blood Transfusion Centre.
- Routine Chemistry, Therapeutic Drug Monitoring, Endocrinology, Tumour markers, Lipids, Specific proteins, Clinical Toxicology
- Basic coagulation, routine haematology
- Diagnostic Bacteriology, Immunology, Bacterial and Viral Serology, Mycology, Parasitology
- Histopathology, Cytology and clinical autopsy
- For medico legal cases the forensic pathologist from Institut Perubatan Forensik Negara will be consulted.
The Mortuary provides facilities for the following:
- Release of dead bodies
- Conducting post-mortem
- Temporary storage of dead bodies