Mission, Vision & Objective
The department will utilize evidence-based practice that is current and of the highest standards as well as being patient-centered and patient-friendly. Care is provided through a multidisciplinary team and in collaboration with other relevant departments in the hospital as well as via networking with other departments and organizations outside the hospital.
The department also practices the core values of Selayang Hospital and the Ministry of Health including the corporate culture of Professionalism, Teamwork and Caring Culture. It also adheres to the provisions of the Mental Health Act 2001 that governs the provision of psychiatric service and includes comprehensive care, treatment, control, protection and rehabilitation of those with mental disorders.
The Department of Psychiatry and Mental Health, Selayang Hospital will be a centre of excellence in providing psychiatric care and treatment, conduct training and research as well as produce innovations that will deliver the best possible outcome for the patients and society.
- Comprehensive, effective and efficient services, including outpatient, inpatients, community outreach services, special services looking into child and adolescents, elderly, co-morbidity with substance use, etc.
- Integrated psychiatric services in mainstream general health care and continuous services
- Promotion of mental health services for the general population and specific target groups
- Multisectoral collaboration and opportunity for community participation
- Training for all levels of staff
- Monitoring of standards by key performance indicators, National Indicator Approach (NIA), credentialing and privileging of special procedures
- Research that is service-oriented and providing evidence for clinical practice
- Services that comply with legislation i.e. Mental Health Act 2001.