The Nursing Service of Selayang Hospital consists of nursing administration and provision of nursing care. The nursing administration is headed by a Chief Matron and assisted by a team of Area Matrons. The main areas of responsibility includes development of nursing policy, standard, procedures and monitoring compliance; management of nursing personnel encompassing placement and deployment, training and career development, performance appraisal and awarding credentialing and privileging.
To provide holistic quality care through teamwork and caring service.
We are committed to:
1. Work as a team with other health care providers, patients, relatives and community in providing quality care .
2. Provide a caring, comfort, conducive, and safe environment for all clients.
3. Review and update nursing knowledge and skills of the nursing profession through continuous nursing education, seminars, conferences and post basic training, Nurses are encouraged to take up post graduate courses.
3. Team work
4. Caring Service
5. Process Excellence
The goals are to:
• Maintain highest level of nursing care to patients and families through individualized holistic care.
• Upgrade standard of care through quality improvement programmes.
• Ensure adequate supervision and teaching of Nursing personnel in each unit.
• Ensure continuous in - service programmes for all categories of nursing personnel with particular attention to orientation, continuous nursing education and staff development.
• Review and upgrade evidenced-based nursing practice through scientific research.
1. Patient care is delivered through Team Nursing and patient allocation based on level of Care.
2. Each nurse to undergo in-service education programs/CME a minimum of 5 times a year.
1. Every client must be treated equally, courteously. with prompt and caring service regardless of race or religion.
2. All nursing personnel must respect the dignity, beliefs and values of every client.
3. All nursing procedures must be explained to patient before it is carried out.
The Nursing Service is managed by Chief Matron assisted with five Zone Matrons to co-ordinate the operational activities. The zones under their administrations are:
|Zone 1 : (Chief Matron)||General Operation Theatres (GOT), Maternity Operation Theatres (MOT) ,Day Care Complex ,Day Care Operation Theatres , CSSD, Infection Control, Ward 4D , Ward 10A, CME, QA , and Nursing Administration.|
|Zone 2 :||Medical related discipline, CCU, Ward 5D, 9C,9D, 10C, 10D ,and multidiscipline 1st Class 9A and 9B|
|Zone 3 :||Obstetric and Gynaecology, covering Labour Room, Patient Assessment Centre , Wards - 5A, 5B, 5C, 11C and Paediatric Wards 8A, 8B, 8C and Neonatal Intensive Care Unit.|
|Zone 4 :||Surgical Related discipline, Wards – 4A, 4B, 4C, 6A, 6B, 6C, 6D, 7C, 7D and 8D.|
|Zone 5 :||Specialised areas and Clinics. GICU, HDW, Burn Unit, Accident and Emergency , Clinics Level 3 and 4, Imaging and Diagnostic, CAPD, HDU, Wards – 2C, 7A, 7B.|
The Ward Sister is responsible for the management of patient care in their respective ward / area.
The Registered Nurses provide direct, individualised care. The Community Nurses are designated members of the nursing team who assist in giving care to all patients.
Daily scheduled roster for Sister on call and weekly assignment for Matron on call responsible for nursing administration and monitoring continuity of patient care.
All nurses on reporting duty will undergo an orientation program which include one week IT training to assist them to adapt to the new environment. Roles and responsibilities are also highlighted.
Fortnightly schedule continuous nursing education is conducted. Participation is by rotation from various discipline.
Total number of Topic presented in 2007 – 18 topics and 2,205 nurses attended.
Total number of nurses attended post basic courses from Januari to Disember 2007
35 nurses :
• Midwifery -10
• Orthopaedic -3
• Neonatal - 2
• Peadiatric - 3
• Pre Operative Care -2
• Cardio Coronary Care -3
• Intensive Care -2
• Anaesthesiology -2
• Accident and Emergency -1
• Personnel Management.- 1
• Renal – 3
• Otorinolaringology –2
• Ophthalmology -1